Curse of Strahd is a sandbox adventure, built for levels 1 to 10. Experience is gained by completing quests (effectively); that's visiting certain locations and completing certain events. The adventure is scaled to start at third level for the main plot line. That is the reason I'm running the Beast of Graenseskov as an opener to give you a chance to become more effective.
- You can go anywhere and try anything
- If you end up in an area scaled for much higher levels, do not be afraid to run away (sorry, disengage). Live to fight another day.
- The Dark Powers are close, and friends lacking and needed.
- When you arrive, you have no true place of sanctuary.
- Magical items are rare and often tainted
- Strahd is the Land. The Land is Strahd.