1. DRAGON WARRIORS
[from Sept 2016]
Published in paperback format to capitalize on the mid-’80s Fighting Fantasy gamebook phenomenon, the six Dragon Warriors books together constituted a complete FRPG with easy rules, fast play, and a mythic setting, the Lands of Legend. An analog of our own world in the early European Middle Ages, Legend feels down at heel, grim, gritty, and in places horrific. The names are right: Cornumbria, Ellesland, Albion, Glissom. No one has nice teeth, and no one ever wears a chainmail bikini. Elves are unknowable inhabitants of the otherworld, as likely to kill you in passing as marry you and take you away under the hill for 100 years. Goblins are mean-spirited, twisted, murderous denizens of the forest, where you don’t go at night.
Nowadays Dragon Warriors is published by Serpent King Games, founded in 2011 by the game’s original creators, Dave Morris and Oliver Johnson. This resurrected Dragon Warriors Bundle gives you everything you need for a complete heroic saga.
- Dragon Warriors Bestiary: Scores of creatures from the Lands of Legend, many unlike anything seen in other RPGs.
- Friends or Foes: Three dozen vivid nonplayer characters bring color to your campaign.
- Cold Fury: The full-length Fury of the Deep adventure along with many scenarios from the supplement In From the Cold.
- Prince of Darkness: A sourcebook and full-scale campaign set in the frozen and mountainous fief of Glissom.
- The Elven Crystals: An introductory four-part adventure re-forged in 2009 based on Oliver Johnson’s venerable 1986 Corgi paperback edition.
- Sleeping Gods: A complete seven-part campaign that can lead novice adventurers on a path to power in the Lands of Legend.
2. MAELSTROM [Sept 2017]
Originally published by Puffin Books under the Adventure Gamebooks banner (alongside the famous Fighting Fantasy series), Maelstrom is currently published by Arion Games (which also publishes the Advanced Fighting Fantasy RPG line). This revival of our September 2017 Maelstrom Bundle, presenting most of the line for a bargain price, is a timely tie-in to the Domesday Campaign Kickstarter now in progress. Arion Games is raising funds for an epic two-book campaign that spans a century, the rule of three Kings, and several generations of characters who make their mark on history.
Pay just $9.95 to get all six titles in this revived offer’s Starter Collection (retail value $48), including the complete Maelstrom core rulebook and the Maelstrom Companion; Maelstrom Domesday, a standalone companion game set in AD 1086, plus its Investigators Guide; and the two supplements MQ1 Tournaments and MQ2 Inns & Taverns.
- Maelstrom Gothic: A complete standalone game that adapts Maelstrom for supernatural investigations in 1850s Victorian England.
- Domesday North Yorkshire Moors: A remote and wild region with enough supernatural action for an entire Domesday campaign.
- Classic Fantasy Toolkit and Bestiary: Grab your 10-foot pole for traditional dungeon-crawling using the Maelstrom system.
- Beggars Companion: The lowest of the low can get into a lot of mischief.
- Four Maelstrom adventures — The Beast of Ledsham, Purple Mushroom Caves, The Sward [sic] and the Stone, and The Yuletide Spirit.
- Domesday Maps and Charts, Manor Cartography Symbols, and two sets of paper miniatures for Maelstrom and Maelstrom Domesday.
1. DRAGON WARRIORS [Sept 2016]
2. MAELSTROM [Sept 2017]